Friday, October 5, 2012

Evaluating Intercultural Behavior (Post 4)

Singapore, A Fine City?  

I was volunteering as a student helper at an international competition earlier this year. Students from over 60 countries were involved. It was a unique experience to be part of the cultural interactions that took place over the course of 10 days. 

This is an interesting exchange that occurred between me and my team of students from Central Europe:

Upon their arrival in Singapore, the very first question they asked was: Why are chewing gums not allowed in Singapore? What happens if you are caught chewing a wad of gum? (Before the ban came into effect, people spat their gums in public places or stuck them under chairs and between doors. Due to hygiene issues, the government prohibited the sales of chewing gum in 1992). I explained the reason and they were astounded. You mean chewing gums were BANNED because of this?

Many similar questions were posed to me during their stay in Singapore. Their interest in our law enforcement system puzzled me. Being a native Singaporean, it never occurred to me that many of these laws were unique to our country. On the other hand, being brought up in a country with a vastly different law enforcement system, these students were clearly amazed by the number of laws imposed on this small island country. As a result, this may have shaped their impression of Singapore as a city of "fines".  

Credits: http://alisonbradley.blogspot.sg/2006/03/singapores-fine-city.html

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serene! It is a nice post! Concise, clear, concrete ... The 7C's rule!

      I could have been one of the students who asked you a lot of questions about all those rules!

      Indeed, for us, the first thing that we notice when we arrive is that there are a lot of strict rules in Singapore! Why can't we drink in the MRT? Why are the chewing gums forgotten? ...
      In France,for example, there are rules but not as much. I think that Europeans asked you those questions not because of the rules but because of the REASONS of those rules! I believe you act really good if you explain why the rules exist.

      Moreover, I think it is a good point that you understand why people ask you these questions, it proves that you have a good reflection about the situation in your own country.

      Finally, I have seen a man in the MRT with a shirt: "Singapore a fine city" with a lot of pictures like the one that you put in your blog. It was really funny because I think that this man is a Singaporean. I really liked this self derision!

      Good job Serene!

      Delete
    2. Hi Maxime!

      Good point! They were really curious about the rationale behind the rules, as well as the penalty if the rules were broken!
      Frankly speaking, I used to take these rules for granted. Yes, we do whine about them once in a while, but I have never actually given much thought to them. It was only when they started asking that I began to think more deeply: How each country might differ in their rules and regulation, depending on the local culture.

      In any case, thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. Hi Serene,

    I like how simple your post is and yet it fulfills all the requirements of the 7 C's. Good job!

    I have yet to experience such close interaction with foreign students from Western countries, so I have not face such a scenario. Nonetheless, the 'no chewing gum' rule is definitely one of the factors that makes Singapore unique and interesting.

    I am sure the foreigners who just arrived in Singapore may be uncomfortable with the various rules and regulations, but over time, they will be grateful to such laws as they contribute to what Singapore has now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jie Wei!

      Indeed, these rules may appear restrictive to those who are new to Singapore. However, they have made Singapore a much better place to live in! I cannot imagine sitting on the train and having a wad of chewing gum stuck to my clothes. How disgusting!

      In any case, thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  3. Hi Serene,

    Thanks for the post! It was short and well-written!

    I was astonished at the number of rules Singapore was enforcing in public places. Like the picture you put up! However these little acts of diligence are what makes Singapore the effective country it is. When we are used to a particular way of life we forget to analyse its aspects deeply. They say sometimes a foreigner knows more facts about a country than its common man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dhanya!

      Yes! We are so used to these rules and regulations that we often ignore the benefits they have brought about. It was thanks to these reminders from my foreign friends that I began to realize how these rules have impacted us!

      Delete
  4. Hi Serene!

    I always love your posts! And, yes, this one surely fulfills the 7Cs.
    For me, Singapore has always been a fine city (I think a shop in Chinatown even sells a 'fine city' t-shirt which lists out the fines!). In my opinion, one of the most unique rules besides the chewing gum rules is that durians are strictly prohibited in all means of public transport. And a few week ago, I just found out that you will be fined up to S$1,000 for being drunk in public places. But thanks to those rules. Everyone can really enjoy the public transports and public places.
    In Indonesia, durians and chewing gums and drunk men can roam freely. Of course, the downside is some people can be so inconsiderate and cause some nuisances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa!

      I am not aware that you will be fined for being drunk in public! Thanks for bringing this up! I am sure there are rules and regulations that are unique in Indonesia though. And these rules will probably benefit the people of your country in a way that is unique to their culture.

      Delete
  5. Rules rules rules. I appreciate how in this post you explain that the visiting students were curious about the ruling on gum. You explained to them the origin of such a rule. What might have been added in the post is a short statement about their views, and perhaps even an explanation of how laws are simply norms of behavior that are advised and then codified legally by some authority.

    In any case, thanks for the post, Serene!

    ReplyDelete