Thursday, September 13, 2012

Application Letter (Post 3): Edited on 7 Oct





Please click Read More to refer to my previous draft. Thanks!
PS: Can someone please help me with the formatting? I have no idea why there's a huge space between the title and my letter. ;(

Chua Shu Xian Serene
ABC Road Ave 1 Block 234 #05-678
Singapore 123456

7th September 2012

NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences & Engineering (NGS)
Centre for Life Science (CeLS)
28 Medical Drive, #05-01
Singapore 117456

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in applying for the Singapore Graduate Programme in Neuroscience (SGPN). This is in reference to the information provided on the website of the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Science & Engineering (NGS).

I am a third year life science student from the National University of Singapore (NUS), specializing in biomedical sciences. My keen interest to understand the functions of the human brain has driven me to further my studies by applying for the SGPN. This curiosity has also motivated me to do well in my academic studies. Presently, I have a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 4.28 and am expected to achieve the Second Upper Class Honors at the end of my coursework. The SGPN requires its students to be strong academic performers and I believe that my academic achievements will allow me to qualify for the programme. In addition, I have also made plans to enroll in neurobiology modules in the upcoming semesters to enhance my knowledge in this field.

Moreover, my strong passion for research has led me to take on the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Programme (UROPS) this semester. Through UROPS, I am beginning to understand what is required of me as a researcher; the technical skills and the thinking processes involved. These are relevant skills that will serve me well in a laboratory setting and I am confident that they will allow me to qualify as a strong candidate for the SGPN.

Besides performing well academically, I am also an active player in my extracurricular activities. I was selected as a student helper for the International Biology Olympiad 2012, where I played host to students from more than 60 countries. More importantly, these activities have trained me to be more patient and to work efficiently under pressure. I strongly believe that these qualities will serve me well as a researcher. 

With its focus on the study of neuroscience, the SGPN will provide an excellent training ground for me to hone my skills and knowledge. I believe that this will provide a strong foundation as I work towards my goal of becoming a researcher in the field of neurobiology, to uncover the mysteries of the human brain.

Lastly, I enjoy working in a challenging environment. Together with my enthusiasm for research in neuroscience, I hope to be given the opportunity to be enrolled into this programme. Enclosed is a copy of my resume for your reference. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours Faithfully,

Serene Chua





Chua Shu Xian Serene
ABC Road Ave 1 Block 234 #05-678
Singapore 123456

7th September 2012

NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences & Engineering (NGS)
Centre for Life Science (CeLS)
28 Medical Drive, #05-01
Singapore 117456

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am interested in applying for the Singapore Graduate Programme in Neuroscience (SGPN). This is in reference to the information provided on the website of the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Science & Engineering (NGS).

Currently, I am a Year 3 Life Science student from the National University of Singapore (NUS), specializing in biomedical sciences. I have a keen interest in the field of neuroscience and have made plans to enroll in neurobiology modules in the upcoming semesters. Moreover, my strong passion for research has led to take on the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Programme (UROPS). To broaden my perspective of research, I decided to work on a project that focuses on the study of reactive oxygen species and their correlation with the progression of human breast cancer. I am confident that these research trainings will provide me with the technical skills to qualify as a strong candidate for SGPN's intensive coursework.

Furthermore, I understand that the SGPN requires its students to be strong academic performers. As an undergraduate, I am highly motivated to do well in my academic studies. Presently, I have a Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 4.28 and am expected to achieve the Second Upper Class Honors at the end of my coursework.  

Besides performing well academically, I am also an active player in my extracurricular activities. I was selected as a student helper for the International Biology Olympiad 2012, where I played host to students from more than 20 countries. More importantly, these activities have trained me to be more patient and to work efficiently under pressure. I strongly believe that these qualities will serve me well as a researcher. 

Lastly, I enjoy working in a challenging environment. Together with my enthusiasm for research in neuroscience, I hope to be given the opportunity to be enrolled into this programme. Enclosed is a copy of my resume for your reference. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours Faithfully,
 Serene Chua

5 comments:

  1. Hi Serene!

    What a cool graduate program! I believe you are likely to be admitted to SGPN with those qualifications you have achieved.

    Your Cover Letter is concise and relevant. However, I find some points that you might want to re-consider:

    1.) RE: Application for Singapore Graduate Programme in Neuroscience (SGPN)-> I have never came across this kind of format but I think it may be better to omit this since you have mentioned your intention of writing in the first paragraph.

    2.)specializing in the Biomedical Sciences-> specializing in Biomedical Sciences

    3.) I have made plans to enroll in neurobiology modules in the upcoming semesters. The SGPN is a research intensive programme that requires its students to tackle... -> I feel like the sentence flow is rather confusing. Maybe you can paraphrase or omit the latter sentence.

    4.) I think it will be better if you divide the third paragraph into two parts (first is academic performance and second is CCA activities). Another alternative is using the word 'all-rounders' instead of 'strong academic performers'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Serene!

    You been active in a lot of projects/organisations relevant for your future career already, very impressive!
    However maybe try and pick the ones you think symbolises the skills relevant for this position the best, since the letter is quite long.

    You connect the paragraphs very well with smart words as "lastly" and "furthermore", I'm gonna adapt that in my letter too.

    If your really want the spot I would suggest saying you are available for an interview anytime instead of "in November and December".

    Good luck, I think you'll get it :)

    //Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sofie!!!

    Thanks for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Serene!

    You have been effectively convey the message to whomever going to examine your application. As just by glancing through it initially, I have gotten several key points that you want to say, such as strong academic performance, research experience and caring personality. That is very good!

    Perhaps, you could make these points more concise by doing more summarization?
    You could also mention how does your strengths fit the programme to make it more convincing?

    ReplyDelete