Friday, August 24, 2012

Effective Communication (Post 1): Edited on 30 Aug

Communication is an important aspect of our daily life.  As a life science major, I have a keen interest in research and have plans to pursue a career as a researcher. In the field of medical research, scientists communicate through the writing of research papers and discussions at conferences. Effective communication is, therefore, essential because it allows for the exchange of new ideas and discoveries which could benefit mankind.  Failure to do so will hinder the flow of ideas and result in misinterpretation of information. This can potentially lead to inappropriate allocation of research funding. Therefore, mastering the skills of effective communication will be an important stepping stone towards my career as a researcher.

As we have discussed in class, some common barriers to communication include not being clear, concise and accurate. This is basically the opposite of the 7Cs which are continuously being emphasized in this module. My weakness in communication is the inability to be clear and concise. I have a tendency to rattle on in circles, adding in unnecessary points. This often confuses the person whom I am trying to communicate with. More often than not, I find myself having to repeat my message more than once. An effective way which I have found to overcome my weakness is to pen down my ideas in point form. This allows me to have a clearer picture of the message I am trying to bring across to my audience.  

Lastly, I will keep in mind the useful tips which I have learnt in class and hopefully, these may come in useful as I work towards my goal.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Serene, for this well-crafted first post. In fact, you have stated a specific communication need here as you reference your career choice as a researcher. You also illustrate in your discussion conciseness and clarity, so I think you are well on your way to achieving your goals.

    A few language issues:

    1) Effective communications >>> Effective communication

    2) the 7Cs which is continuously being emphasized >>> the 7Cs, which ARE continuously being emphasized

    I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Serene! After reading your clearly-constructed post, I realised that I didnot explain why effective communication is important to me in my own one. :( Nevertheless, you mention about paper writting skills in effective communications for researchers, do you think the oral communication inbetween the researchers are also very important? As most of the research works are conducted by a team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh...in case Brad is going to feel sad when he spot the same grammar error in my reply. It should be " effective communication" in line4:).

      Delete
    2. Hi Zhuang Wei, thank you for your comments. You have brought up a good point. Oral communications are definitely important! This is how we communicate with our research fellows, in our own laboratory and at conferences!
      PS: You still have time to change! XD

      Delete
    3. Hi Serene, it is a pleasure reading your post. I like how you link the importance of effective communication to your major and future career, which I failed to do so. Knowing your weakness is the first step towards achieving your goals, as that is where you pick up everything and try again. With your unfailing drive, I am sure you are not too far away from your goal!

      Delete
    4. Hey Jia Wei. I guess we analyzed the topic from different perspectives. Yours was a broader view, looking at how effective communications is important in our daily lives. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Serene,

    Your post is precisely the antithesis of what you claim to be bad at. You probably made all the 7Cs without your knowing it, or be still mistaking that you lack communication skills. Perhaps it might be really true that you have trouble communicating well during research presentations and dissertations, but otherwise like in everyday normal writing and conversations this post was well-defined and lucid!


    You have nothing to worry, my dear.

    Somehow, I actually found this statement of yours to be a complete joke:

    "My weakness in communication is the inability to be clear and concise. I have a tendency to rattle on in circles, adding in unnecessary points. This often confuses the person whom I am trying to communicate with. More often than not, I find myself having to repeat my message more than once."


    I read and saw nothing that was far from clear or concise. I certainly hadn't been confuse whatever too. Besides, you definitely didn't repeat any message more than once.


    You will have such a great future ahead!


    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete